CLUBS, SOCIETIES AND ONLINE DISCUSSION BOARDS
Here's a selection of groups you can join to meet like minds in
virtually any vintage-related field!
- BRITISH AMATEUR TELEVISION
CLUB: Dave Lawton G0ANO, Grenehurst, Pinewood Road, High Wycombe,
Bucks., HP12 4DD.
- NARROW BANDWIDTH TELEVISION ASSOCIATION: Doug Pitt, 1 Burnwood
Drive, Wollaton, Nottingham, NG8 2DJ. Tel: 0115 928 2896. www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk
- TEST CARD CIRCLE (TV trade test transmissions and test card
music): 175 Kingsknowe Road North, EDINBURGH. EH14 2DY. Web site:
- BBC TEST CARD CLUB, Keith Hamer, 7 Epping Close, Derby, DE3
- TELERADIO NEWS (current radio and TV transmitter news, long-distance
reception): Keith Hamer, 7 Epping Close, Derby, DE3 4HR.
- TRANSDIFFUSION. A historical society dedicated to documenting
and preserving broadcasting history. Consists of over three dozen
- LAUGH Magazine, 89 Welford Road, Kingsthorpe, Northampton, NN2
8AJ. In-depth information for people who enjoy old and new TV
and radio humour.
- MAUSOLEUM CLUB DISCUSSION FORUM. An online forum to discuss
old radio and television programmes. www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk
- PROGRAMME PRESERVATION SOCIETY: (aims to help members lend each
other copies of old television and radio programmes). Run by Martin
Hearn, Richard Berry and John Hutchinson. Contact Richard Berry
at: Flat 2, 11 Rudloe Road, Clapham, London SW12 0DR. Or email
him here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAVERS OF TELEVISION AND RADIO SHOWS (S.T.A.R.S.): now incorporated
in PPS (above).
- STOP MESSING ABOUT, Carl St John, 27 Brookmead Way, Orpington,
Kent, BR5 1BQ. This is the magazine for those interested in the
‘Carry On’ films and their stars. Also runs features on Tony Hancock
and details of old radio shows featuring comedy stars.
- WHIRLIGIG. 1950s British TV Nostalgia. www.whirligig-tv.co.uk
Appreciation Societies See also the Cult
- ALAN WHICKER APPRECIATION SOCIETY
South Street, Ditchling, Sussex, BN6 8UQ.
- CROSSROADS APPRECIATION SOCIETY
Flat 8, Harewood Apartments, 9 Undercliff Road, Bournemouth, BH5
- ENTHUSIASTS CLUB (News and views about television)
64 Daisy Road, Brighouse, HD6 3SX.
- EUROVISION NETWORK (The Eurovision Song Contest Fan Club
1 Byres Road (4/3), Glasgow, G11 5RD.
- GOON SHOW PRESERVATION SOCIETY
27 Kew Drive, Davyhulme, Urmston, Manchester, M31 2WW or 83 Babington
Road, Dagenham, RM8 2XR.
- TONY HANCOCK APPRECIATION SOCIETY
426 Romford Road, Forest Gate, London, E7 8DF.
- TONY HANCOCK SOCIETY
89 Woodthorne Road South, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8XL.
The two Tony Hancock groups are not related!
- KENNETH WILLIAMS AND SID JAMES SOCIETY
27 Brookmead Way, Orpington, Kent, BR5 2BQ.
- ON THE BUSES FAN CLUB
Phil Leong/Nick Reiss, 28 Greenway, Sedgley, Dudley. DY3 1PQ.
- POLDARK APPRECIATION SOCIETY
Box 25, Charing, TN27 0JZ.
- PRISONER: CELL BLOCK H
Room 28, St James Chambers, St James Street, Derby, DE1 1QZ.
- RANDALL AND HOPKIRK (DECEASED) APPRECIATION SOCIETY
10 Brook Avenue, Edgware, HA8 9XF.
- SCARECROW AND MRS KING FELLOWSHIP
30 Kirkdale Green, Rye Hill, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6HU.
- SOOTY FAN CLUB
Windhill Manor, Leeds Road, Shipley, BD18 1BP.
- STAY TUNED (authorised fan club for The Avengers)
114 Dartmouth Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs., ST6 1HE.
- STEPTOE & SON APPRECIATION SOCIETY
47 Cornwell Crescent, Stanford-le-Hope, SS17 7DC.
- SUMMER WINE APPRECIATION SOCIETY
114 Dalesfield Road, Normanton, WF6 1PS.
- TAKE THE HIGH ROAD FAN CLUB
Box 25, Charing, TN27 0JZ.
- THE PRISONER: SIX OF ONE
Box 60, Harrogate. HG1 2TP.
- THE SAINT CLUB
8 Beverley Road, Hampton Wick, Kingston-upon-Thames, KT1 4DZ.
The Freedom League, 30 Borodin Close, Basingstoke, RG22 4EN.
Laramie Trail, 196 Whitehouse Common Road, Sutton Coldfield, B75
- ANTIQUE RADIO, Mose’ Edizioni, Via Bosco 4, 31010 Maser (TV)
Italy. Tel. 00 39 423-950385; Fax 00 39 423-529049; e-mail: email@example.com
- ANTIQUE RADIO CLASSIFIED, P.O. Box 802-A12, Carlisle, MA 01741,
- BRITISH VINTAGE WIRELESS SOCIETY: Mike Barker, 59 Dunsford Close,
Swindon, SN1 4PW.
- IRISH VINTAGE RADIO & SOUND SOCIETY: Henry Moore, 9 Auburn Close,
Killiney, Co. Dublin.
- RADIO BYGONES (vintage radio technology): Allen House, East
Borough, Wimborne, BH21 1PF (01202-881749, fax 01202-881692).
- THE RADIOPHILE (vintage radio): Chas. E. Miller, ‘Larkhill’,
Newport Road, Woodseaves, Stafford, ST20 0NP.
- TUNE INTO YESTERDAY (Old-Time Radio Show Collectors Association):
Membership secretary: John Wolstenholme, 56 Melbourne Avenue,
Dronfield Woodhouse, Sheffield, S18 5YW.
- VINTAGE RADIO PROGRAMME COLLECTORS CIRCLE, Roger Bickerton,
3 Park Edge, Harrogate, Yorks., HG2 8JU (01423-887452). Email:
Caters for collectors of spoken word and other radio broadcasts,
especially radio drama of all categories and feature/documentary
Music, especially broadcast-related
- FROM SILENTS TO SATELLITE The journal of film and TV music.
Details from John Williams, 1 Folly Square, Bridport, Dorset,
- IEAM ENCORE. Official journal of the Institute of Entertainment
and Arts Management. Editor/Advertising Manager: Peter G. Foot,
240 Tolworth Rise South, Surbiton, Surrey.
- IN TUNE INTERNATIONAL. A magazine for those who are in tune
with the music of the years 1935-1960. Each issue is crammed with
information on the record starts of the period, plus reviews and
new releases. 10 Collingwood Drive,Mundesley, Norfolk, NR11 8JB.
- MEMORY LANE. A nostalgia magazine covering the popular music
and jazz scene of the 78rpm era. With the accent placed on British
dance music of the 30s and 40s, it is eagerly read by nostalgia
enthusiasts worldwide. Published quarterly. Sample copy and subscription
rates in return for two first class stamps (or IRCs). Write to
Ray Pallett, P.O. Box 1939, Leigh- on-Sea, Essex, SS9 3UH.
- NZ FILM MUSIC BULLETIN. A magazine for film enthusiasts published
quarterly by Colin Adamson, 35 Jenkin Street, Invercargill, New
- ROBERT FARNON SOCIETY. Web site: www.rfsoc.org.uk
Light music from all composers, which incidentally includes
coverage of many television and radio themes. The Robert Farnon
Society was founded in 1956, and its aims remain to publicise
the work of Robert Farnon in particular and similar musicians
involved in light and film music. At least four magazines are
published each year, and London meetings are held in April and
November. Membership should be considered essential for anyone
interested in the resurgent field of 'light music' and there's
an efficient and comprehensive CD supply service available. Free
sample magazine available from the Secretary, David Ades, Stone
Gables, Upton Lane, Seavington St. Michael, Ilminster, Somerset,
- CINE 9.5 NEDERLAND, Zutendaalstraat 21, 1066 KT Amsterdam, Netherlands
(00 31 20-617 2725, fax 00 31 20-688 0618). Dutch 9.5mm society.
- CLUB NIEPCE LUMIERE (Association Culturelle pour la Recherce
et la Préservation d'Appareils, d'Images et de Documents Photographiques
et Cinématiques). Alain Gomet +33 1 4011 1675, fax +33 1 3419
7445). Holds collectors fairs in collaboration with Le Comité
International des Collectionneurs de Cinéma at Engien-les-Bains.
- GROUP 9.5 (for the 9.5mm cine enthusiast), Ron Price, 4 Higher
Mead, Lychpit, Basingstoke, Hants., RG24 8YL.
- PROJECTED PICTURE TRUST (cinema history): Enigma Cinema, Bletchley
Park, Milton Keynes, MK3 6EB, Bucks. (www.ppttrust.org.)
- VINTAGE FILM CIRCLE (for collectors and all lovers of old films):
Alex Woolliams, 11 Norton Road, Knowle, Bristol, BS4 2EZ.
Not television-related but also of possible interest:
- ASSOCIATION FOR RECORDED SOUND COLLECTIONS, PO Box 543, Annapolis,
MD 21404-0543, USA. This is a group comprising professional archivists
and librarians, individual collectors, and assorted others who
come together as people interested in the general topic of recorded
sound. Some specialise in various media (e.g. cylinders), some
in specific genres (e.g. popular music), while most generalise
more and are interested in recorded sound as a whole.
- TUBE COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION. A group of collector-historians
has recently formed the "Tube
Collectors Association". This is in response to the need
for a focused group dedicated to the growing activity of collecting
radio/wireless tubes and to sharing historical insight about them.
As a tube enthusiast, you'll probably be interested in this development,
and may want to help guide the activities of the group from the
start. For more information and an application go to:
Can't see it above?
Then look in the Directory of British Associations. This book can
be found in main libraries and it can also be bought from CBD Research
Ltd, 15 Wickham Road, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 2JS.