Paint and lacquers for restoration projects
- ANTIQUE ELECTRONIC SUPPLY, 6221 S. Maple Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85283,
USA (00 1 602-820 5411, fax 00 1 602-820 4643). Comprehensive
source of tubes, parts and supplies for restoring old radios.
Elaborate 32-page catalogue free, mail order a speciality, credit
- CASTLE CUSTOMS, Unit 6, Honeyholes Lane, Dunholme, Lincoln,
LN2 3SH (01673-861685). Paint specialists, computer-cut vinyl
- EAGLE INDUSTRIAL PAINTS Ltd, Bridgnorth, WV16 5JL (01746-764242
). Old paint shades matched. Access, Visa.
- The EASTWOOD Company. Web site www.eastwoodco.com
As well as selling wrinkle finish paint, this enterprising
firm sells a set of chemicals for blackening ferrous metals and
a kit of materials for tin-zinc electroplating almost any metal
parts including brass, copper and steel and another kit for copper
plating. They also sell an aerosol can for spraying a reflective
aluminium finish, which they claim is the closest paint finish
to chrome plating and polished aluminium. This and much more can
be found in their free mail order catalogue of car restoration
tools and materials.
- FIDDES, Florence Works, Brindley Road, Cardiff, South Glamorgan,
United Kingdom. CF11 8TX. Tel : +44 (0) 29 2034 0323, Fax : +44
(0) 29 2034 3235. E mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site: www.fiddes.co.uk
. Suppliers of every conceivable wood refinishing material to
industry, including cellulose and coloured cellulose spray lacquers,
as originally used on vintage radios.
- FOXELL & JAMES Ltd, 57 Farringdon Road, London, EC1M 3JB
(020-7405 0152). Comprehensive selection of lacquers, varnishes,
stains, French polishes and waxes for all types of cabinet restoration.
- HALFORDS. Pick up their transparent acrylic spray lacquer (intended
for metallic paint finishing) at your local store. This is fine
for wood radio cabinet re-finishing. With proper preparation and
careful rubbing down between coats, it's possible to obtain very
- LIBERON WAXES Ltd, Mountfield Industrial Estate, Learoyd Road,
New Romney, TN28 8XU (01797-367555).
- MATCO, 138 Walton Road, Liverpool, L4 4AY (0151-207 2858). Paint
for classic vehicles and other projects, custom matching and aerosols.
- The PINBALL RESOURCE, Steve Young, 37 Velie Road, La Grangeville,
NY 12540, USA (00 1 914-223 5613, fax 00 1 914-223 7365). Supplies
CYG Lite acrylic preservation fluid for glass designs.
- RESTORATION MATERIALS, Barnside, 194 Wellington Road, Bury,
Lancashire, BL9 9AH (0161-764 2741). Web site: www.restoration-materials.co.uk
Full range of clock maker's supplies also applicable to
radio cabinet work, including chemicals, lacquers, wood stopping,
sealants, adhesives, toners, metal finishes, polishes, shellac
and cellulose polishes, solvents, stains, waxes, gums, wire wool
- VERNOL S.A. (attention M. Sousquet) 56, Rue d'Epinay, F-95100
Argenteuil, France. This is one of the very few firms which can
manufacture crackle paint to the old formulae. It is willing to
manufacture them, even in small quantities and in the desired
shades. The paints are applied in three coats and have proved
entirely satisfactory under museum test. They even allow variations
in the depth and width of the cracks.
- VINTAGE TV & RADIO SUPPLY, 3498 West 105th Street, Cleveland,
OH 44111, USA (00 1 216-671 6712). Components, refinishing supplies,
reproduction parts, books and literature. Free catalogue.
- WOODWORKERS SUPPLY, USA (00 1
800-645 9292). Cellulose toning lacquer sold by the can under
the name of Behlen, which is Mohawk's non-commercial brand; there
is no minimum order requirement.