looked better. It was nice and original, though there were
odd wires hanging off and I found it impossible to obtain
service information for this model anywhere - including on
the internet. I was to carry out all the electronic work 'blind'.
The set was supplied with a complete set of valves, though
unplugged; a little common sense soon revealed where they
should go. This set was clearly a superhet with a push-pull
output stage driven by a phase splitter.
|Time for some
of the original cabinet veneers to take a hot bath! This was
done to clean them and make them more supple for ironing flat...
||I started to
strip the cabinet. At about this time too, new internal members
were made up to replace those missing and old ones re-glued
in when necessary to strengthen the cabinet and restore it
to its basic form. Note the bottle of wood bleach - there
was a fair bit of water damage and staining to attend to...
|The old veneers
are mounted up to the newly made MDF horizontal panels. Lots
of pressure was applied onto the glue base with careful removal
of trapped air.
are on, the cabinet glued together and it's being left overnight
to set with my heavy pillar drill on top to minimise warpage
all seems fine. Now the basics are done it can now be restored
like any other radio cabinet. The main cabinet repairs and
surface preparation can now follow...